Sunday, April 17, 2011

Healthy Strawberry Crepes


I have had a few requests for the strawberry crepe recipe from my profile picture (see above), so that is what I decided to do, today.  I got hooked on crepes after moving to D.C. because my first two years there I worked two blocks away from Le Creperie, which is sort of a high quality fast food crepe place serving crepes in every way imaginable.  This addiction soon proved itself dangerous both to my wallet and waistline, because crepes are not overly healthy.  The crepe itself is not that bad for you; it is more or less a very thin pancake and while that is not particularly nutritious, one crepe will hardly kill you by itself.  Unfortunately, the things that we put on crepes are not so inoffensive. Pictured above is a strawberry and cream crepe which is filled to the brim with saturated fat, and other unpleasant things.  When I became in the habit of making a similar dish my lunch every single day, I realized I would have to create a lower-fat alternative. To make these strawberry and yogurt filling crepes, you will need:

The Crepe:
3 Eggs
1/2 cup skim milk
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons canola oil
1/4 cup wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour

The Filling:
2 cups non-fat plain yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup skim milk
1 cup confectioner's sugar
4 cups sliced fresh strawberries

To make the crepes, you will want to either beat or blend all of the ingredients together until you have a perfectly smooth batter.  Use a vegetable oil spray to coat a pan, then put on medium heat.  Pour approximately 2 tablespoons of batter onto the pan per crepe, and then tilt so that the batter runs very thinly.  Flip when the batter has set on the first side, then remove from heat when both sides are very lightly browned.  Repeat for the rest of the batter.

To make the filling, beat the yogurt, vanilla, and milk together until you have a creamy blended mixture, then add in confectioner's sugar.  To serve: spoon in 1/3 cup of filling, and 1/4 cup of fresh strawberries onto the crepe, then fold over.  Sprinkle more sliced strawberries over the top.

This is a sweet dessert, so it would not be wise to habitually eat it for lunch as I used to, but it is, at least, a lower fat alternative to the strawberry and cream crepe.

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment